Saturday, March 15, 2014

My Rizzo Collection - 2014 Topps Base

Typical me.

I got so excited about my '93 Topps Finest Mattingly from the Lost Collector that I forgot to showcase the other goodies he dropped in the package.....

Most importantly - my first Rizzo of 2014!   A beautiful base card that just REEKS of Cubbie goodness, this Rizzo shows a sunny day at Wrigley with an eye-black loaded Anthony headed to first base after a rope into right field.   The colors on the card look really sharp.   I like it.


Here's the back.   It definitely tells it like it is - Rizzo still carries a tremendous amount of potential to be at the center of a young and talented Cubs team.   Castro, Rizzo, Baez, Almora, Soler,  Bryant......what might be?


Yep.......that's a "WAR" column!

.....and, probably with a grin on his Syracuse-loving face, LC threw in some Notre Dame basketball cards.   This first one is of our turtleneck-sweater-loving coach, Mike Brey.   Brey is a good guy who has coached some talented teams into the latter stages of the NCAA tournament a few times, but we just can't seem to get over that hump.   I had the chance to meet Coach Brey when I ran into him in New Orleans during the 2012 Final Four.   He was very nice and took a few moments to speak with me.....unfortunately he was quickly supplanted as my top memory a few hours later when I wrapped my arm around Erin Andrews.

Seriously.



Ugh.  Great camera work, Ryan.   Here's what former Irish player Monty Williams looks like with your eyes crossed:



...which, coincidentally, is exactly how ND basketball has looked to me all season long.

(SIGH)

Thanks for the hook-up, AJ!


1 comment:

  1. That is a nice card. Very red, white and Cubbie blue. It's only been four really bad seasons but it seems much longer. I sure hope the young guys become our next winning team.

    ReplyDelete