Thursday, June 6, 2013

My Mattingly Collection: 1988 Topps #386 All Star

Some days, I miss these kinds of cards.   Simple and focused with maybe a bit too much color......

I haven't featured a card of Donnie Baseball since I pulled the '13 Gypsy Queen.  I thought this might provide a nice contrast.  

Red, White and Blue! And Yellow!

I have several of these from the childhood portion of my collection.   This particular copy was sent very generously as a throw-in with a recent trades (salute to @jedijeff13 and reader Marcus - good guys!).   It is gladly accepted as the others are tucked away and hidden in the Indiana Jones warehouse that IS my hobby space (see previous post).

Good 'ol Donnie, back in the good 'ol days.   Love this card!   It celebrated Mattingly's 4th straight All-Star selection in 1987.   During that mid-summer classic, Don went 0-1 with two walks - doing his part!   The junior circuit only amassed 6 hits that day and the National League won 2-0.

Here's the back of the card:

Yep, that's orange.

These All-Star cards featured league-specific stat categories with leaders from the previous season.   Mattingly's card featured the RBI category, for which he ranked 5th with 115.  

Solid.

I always like statistical lists like this because it gives us a chance to say, "oh yeah....they were pretty good!".   I, of course, am referring to Dwight Evans and Wally Joyner.   Two guys who often get lost in the shuffle when we speak of the days of yore.

This card is also special because it highlights one of my favorite Mattingly feats - his streak of going yard in eight straight ballgames.   The "8-straight" record tied Dale Long at the time, who accomplished the feat back in 1956.   Some young whipper-snapper named Ken Griffey Jr. would tie the record of Don & Dale again in 1993.

This particular highlight pinpoints #8 against the Rangers on 7-18-87 - though Mattingly would actually total TEN dingers during his 8-game streak.......Griffey and Long could only reach eight each.

Atta boy, Donnie.

Thanks for reading!




1 comment: