Friday, June 28, 2013

Freddie Friday!

Yeah, let's have some Freddie time, shall we?


This one comes from my Freddie Freeman collection and, if my memory serves me correctly, MAY very well be the first Freddie card I ever procured.

Pack pulled, of course!   This would have been back in the first few months of my return to our hobby.   So very exciting, confusing and wondrous.....but it was cards like this that gave me a sense of familiarity and a connection to the hobby I had taken a hiatus from over twenty years ago.

Fab-Fivin' Freeman
Simple, direct and with a little bit of patriotic flair - this 2011 Topps Lineage "glossy rookie insert" set was a tribute to the versions of similar design that graced the top of every rack pack I bought as a kid back in the day.   And I had the same reaction with this card that I did back then.

This is a Freddie Freeman card.   It is a rookie card....and it is good.

Yeah, so this doesn't quite fit into the modern, strict definition of "rookie card" as I would come to learn over the past couple of years.....but it works for me!   Here's the back:


Again, very basic - probably thought to be quite boring by most modern collectors.   But I love it!   Heck, it's commemorative, don't you know!?

My Freddie collection has come a long way since that fateful day but this card will always have a special place in my Freddie Freeman collection.  

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Not a huge Freeman fan, but I pulled this from a repack one of my 5th grade students gave me, and its definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete