Thursday, April 26, 2012

What's a Rah-Mulb & How Is It Made?


I'm guessing that many of you out there have seen this before but I felt like it was worth sharing!

Here's a quick 5-minute video that shows the making of a Rawlings Official Major League Baseball or, as we like to call it in the blogosphere......a ROMLB.   You know, a "Rah-mulb".

Never waste an opportunity for a good acronym, I always say.

I love these balls.   When there's one in the shopping cart or on my desk at the house, it usually means one thing:  an autograph opportunity has presented itself or I'm in the process of cooking something up.

Wait.   That's two things.

These ROMLBs certainly aren't cheap but they are, by far, my favorite memento to have signed by a ball player.   SO, when a TTM request or "fence waiting" session at an actual game doesn't yield some ink - it can be expensive AND frustrating.   You can normally find these balls, in a nice clear-plastic-cube display case for about $14 at your local Target.   Not bad, but again, not cheap when you add in the postage, time and then any signing fees that might be required by a particular player you're hoping to have sign.

So, yes - I've complained about the price tag.

But after watching this video, I think I'll temper my rants just a little bit.   Hand-stitching?!   Pretty special.   Glad I stumbled upon this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of a FAVORITE part of my baseball memorabilia collection!





By the way - I recently had another very exciting return from my Spring TTM 2012 adventure and, as it just so happens, involved one of these beautiful, pristine baseballs from Rawlings........and my favorite current Yankee!   I'll be sharing this real soon.   Stay tuned.


Thanks for reading!

1 comment: