Friday, December 28, 2012

How About a Good 'ol Baseball Card Post?

It's been a month and a half since I blogged about a baseball card......pontifications about the Hall of Fame and an LCS-visit recap have run their course, setting universal records for page-visits and comments (thanks, 30YOC!).   Heehee.

Time to find my center of gravity!

This was one of my favorite pulls from a pack in 2012.   I don't exactly go coo-coo for Bowman and its sterile design, but it was fun to bust a few packs with the high hopes of pulling something exciting.  

Of course, it's me we're talking about, so this is usually about as exciting as it gets for current release pack bounties:

2012 Bowman #34, Mike Trout

Mike Trout has since fulfilled his destiny of being the 2012 AL Rookie of the Year.   I know that I swam against the current and put my support behind Yoenis Cespedes......but don't hate.   I just really dug what I saw in Yoenis as he became an injury-overcoming integral part of the magical run by the Athletics.   How many "games played" in a particular year does it take to not be a rookie the following year?   I guess it's more than 40.   All that being said, I can fully support Mike and his amazing accomplishments on the field this past season:

Batting average    .306
Home runs    35
Runs batted in    99
Hits    209
Stolen bases    53
Runs scored    149


Yowza.   And that was with Hunter, Pujols, Morales & Trumbo behind him!   Throw Josh Hamilton back there and we very well could see some even MORE amazing production from this guy in 2013.   I'm no Angels fan but I'm excited to see what happens.   I'm fairly certain that Trout has even earned himself the #1 draft pick status in many a fantasy baseball leagues next season, too.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

As far as the card goes, it's okay.   Again, the very basic and clean design does not offend but it doesn't WOW you, either.   The picture is kind of cool, capturing Trout in a Kung-Fu-like mid-air kick-slide sort of pose.   If he was a girl he'd probably be worried about the multiple chin thing...but he's not.  He's Mike Trout, baby.

So how about the back?


It's always pretty cool when a player who wins "Player of the Year" at one level goes on to fulfill their potential and continue that success on the big stage.   Bravo to Mr. Trout.   A very accurate assessment of his abilities, too.   "...can dominate the game in all phases..."?   Turns out - TRUE!   The touching story of the kudos from Jeter is solid.   I wish they were teammates.....

This isn't really a Trout RC, I guess?   That's kind of disappointing.   But still, I was glad to see this card emerge from the endless supply of prospects I didn't know in that hanger pack.   It's always fun to pull a card of a guy that's playing pretty well at the time.  One of those basic [out-dated] joys of card collecting that I can't (thankfully) seem to completely shake.  

I hope I never do!

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend, everybody!

1 comment:

  1. This card is another example of why I really cannot get behind collecting today's generation of players. While I like the card, I too am not certain that it is a true rookie card. And with so many issues being released over the course of a year, a new player can have 15+ rookie cards in a single season (not to mention the alternate/paralell versions).

    Give me the 1980s - Topps, Fleer, Donruss, I can handle. But not too much more than that!

    ReplyDelete